Atlanta, GA — MDOUTLOOK®, the innovative oncology intelligence platform, today announced the results from its Quick Poll research, which was launched immediately following this month’s annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) in Orlando, Florida. Based on patient volume, clinical focus and other criteria, specific subgroups of MDOUTLOOK’s global database of 43,000 cancer treaters were selected for participation in one of the following Quick Polls: integration of hot topics in the management of breast cancer, gynecological cancer, lung cancer or skin cancer (melanoma).
MDOUTLOOK, in close consultation with members of the MDOUTLOOK Strategy Council and other renowned medical experts, selected key oncology developments presented in Orlando for each of the four researched areas. Within one week, 370 cancer treaters from 32 countries completed these Quick Polls making it the first market feedback available post-ASCO. The research yielded the following highlights:
• High level of excitement surrounds the development of PARP1 inhibitors BSI-201 and olaparib for the treatment of triple-negative breast cancer.
• Development of PARP1 inhibitors is expected to double the amount of genetic screening for Breast Cancer Susceptibility Gene (BRCA) deficiencies.
• Combination of carboplatin + pegylated liposomal doxorubicin will be the new standard-of-care for relapsed, platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer
• For advanced cervical cancer, the combination of gemcitabine + cisplatin will be the new standard-of-care concerning choice of chemotherapy.
Maintenance therapy in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer:
• Only a minority of applicable patients currently receive this therapy in their treatment
• Substantial amount of enthusiasm surrounds the new information on the use of maintenance therapy for advanced NSCLC presented at ASCO. This will result in an estimated 40% increase in use of maintenance therapy
• Pemetrexed appears the top choice.
Advanced stage Melanoma:
• Ulceration status of the primary lesion will become key differential factor driving the use of PEG-IFN-α-2b. This is a change from current practice
• High level of excitement around the BRAF inhibitor PLX4032, leading to strong interest in clinical trial participation
• Malignant melanoma is entering the “age of targeted therapies” through the use of screening for BRAF and KIT mutations, driving the selection of appropriate therapies.
Members of the MDOUTLOOK Strategy Council reflected that these results “validate the expected change in physician decision-making” and that “it will be interesting to follow-up on a regular basis to track these changes”. Jan Heybroek, President of The Arcas Group, LLC, which powers MDOUTLOOK commented: “These Quick Polls perfectly demonstrate the ability of MDOUTLOOK to quickly and in a targeted manner capture the view of the clinician, and turn this into actionable intelligence.”
Full copies of the MDOUTLOOK Quick Poll results can be requested.
Jan A. Heybroek, MSc, MBA
MDOUTLOOK has been developed with a singular focus: improved understanding of complex disease areas leading to better patient care. The program is guided by globally recognized experts, such as Chandra Belani, MD; Alexander Eggermont, MD; Keith Flaherty, MD; Axel Hauschild, MD; Peter Heald, MD; John Kirkwood, MD; Lauren Pinter-Brown, MD; Giorgio Scagliotti, MD, PhD; Orlando Silva, MD, JD; and Nicholas Thatcher, MD.
MDOUTLOOK delivers clients real-time treatment decisions and rationale, treater and institution profiles, and ThoughtLeader analysis via the web (www.thearcasgroup.com/mdoutlook).
MDOUTLOOK delivers value per this comment from a Group Marketing Director Oncology: “Our analysis showed that MDOUTLOOK was by far the most comprehensive, up-to-date and cost-effective intelligence program available. Its accessibility across many functions in our organization greatly supports our internal knowledge and market understanding.”
MDOUTLOOK directly collaborates with more than 43,000 cancer treaters globally and covers all major and smaller oncology areas, including lung cancer, breast cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, genitourinary cancer, gynecological cancer, hematological malignancies, and melanoma. MDOUTLOOK is being launched in other complex diseases, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ophthalmology, Parkinson’s Disease, and Alzheimer’s.
About The Arcas Group
The Arcas Group (www.thearcasgroup.com) supports the commercial success of clients in the continuum of life sciences marketing – from marketing intelligence to strategy development and implementation – through enhanced connectivity with ThoughtLeaders and Clinicians.
Arcas serves its clients through three offerings:
• MDOUTLOOK | Disease Intelligence and ThoughtLeader Insight;
• Business Optimizer™ | Growth Consultancy
• Outcome Optimizer™ | Medical Strategy Implementation.
Leadership combines more than 80 years of experience in domestic and global life sciences. Our team has worked with over 100 different life science organizations throughout their career, spanning a wide range of therapy and functional areas.